Thursday, June 16, 2011

Holy crap, Darius Jones Trio + The Decemberists, and friggin awesome kettle corn.

Well, my lovely people, I've finally returned with NEWS. YOU KNOW, LIKE ACTUAL NIGHTLIFE REPORTS? THE ONES I'M SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN DOING FOR THIS BLOGGITY BLOG RELIGIOUSLY?!

Again, I apologize for the admittedly shitty attendance to the events/timely posts I had promised, but I can only chalk it up to being overworked, underpaid, and underpaid, and also underpaid.

Yeah.

*Sigh* now on to the good stuff….

I present the Darius Jones Trio @ DC Jazz Fest's last performance at the 
DIY venue DC Jazz Loft (a.k.a. Red Door).







THIS BASSIST. I don't mean to be vulgar (actually, I really do mean to be vulgar), but I would definitely sleep with him after seeing him play. Hush up, you would too.



Mr. Jones knows how to play his horn to heights and audial contortions that make you giggle and stare in wonder. (Which is exactly what I did.)


I'm sorry, I may be biased but there is just something about Jazz and DC. They go together perfectly. The music just…permeates throughout the sketchy back alleyways and seedy chinese takeout places that have no seats and bulletproof glass….and the Darius Jones Trio, although hailing from Brooklyn (respect), recognized and respected that.


I know it's unfair to say that--but screw it, I have way too much pride in my hometown to back down. It may make me unwise---*shrugs*---
which wouldn't be a surprise to anyone that knows me well. ;-]



I got a kick out of seeing him, and the rest of the trio, get so into the music.
It was truly a religiously musical experience.



The last performance in the DC Jazz Loft series WITHIN the DC Jazz Festival was honestly breathtaking. I must thank FOREVER AND EVER Gio of CapitalBop…I bought a ticket for  last Sunday, and couldn't make it, so he fit me into this show. I am forever grateful.

I can say that this was the second best show I've seen this spring/summer season
(Sharon Van Etten and CAKE both tying for #1,
and Warpaint being 3rd, and now fighting for that spot.)

WANNA KNOW WHY?

The Decemberists, that's why, bitches.







Well okay, seats weren't 'in your faise' I admit. But they were fucking free. FREE.


I have good friends.





A little bokeh for your pleasure?...


…To make you forgive me? Hm?




Come see the full album here!


I profusely apologize for lateness, once again. A whole lot has been going on, but don't you worry---this weekend and this coming week will be a killer tidal wave of awesome…stuff.

(Where was I going there?)

Tomorrow is the CLOSING NIGHT of VitaminWater Uncapped Live--meaning sickness to the sick of sickdom. And no, I don't mean migraines. NO MIGRAINES. I mean good music, lots of gin & tonics, and lots of dancin to burn up dem calories.

Then EXTENSIVE Silverdocs Film Festival coverage. I'm serious. Conference pics? You got it. Famous faces? Eh…we'll see. I may work there, but I'm not a magic worker…actually, scratch that, someone told me I was when I was at the office today, BUT STILL--we shall see. Overall fabulous pictures and coverage of smiling faces, awesome documentaries,
and great panels? You bet your ass you got it.

See you later, my dear lovely readers.
I thank you so much for your readership in the field of reading readable content…in this….vicinity.

My lord, I must get some rest.

xxoo.


No comments:

Post a Comment