Monday, May 9, 2011

D.C. Jazz Loft: DCJF preview show (presented by CapitalBop)

I can't. I can't.

It was too good of a night. I think it might become a dream if I go on and ON AND ON about it.

But nope, it was for-freaking real.

And there was beautiful music. MY GOD, NOTHING STANK UP IN DAT LOFT.
…sorry bout that. I'm still recovering from the awesomeness.

BUT, I shall go ahead with business….


The lineup consisted of OOO (pronounced Tri-O-Trio), Starlicker (I know, the name already convinces you of how beastly they are), the Elijah Jamal Balbed Quartet (awesome guys, and I know Elijah!), and the U St. All-Stars (all the people that left before seeing them DEFINITELY weren't thinking straight. Or were maybe just too drunk).



A. FREAKING. GUMBALL. MACHINE. *DIES AND GOES TO HEAVEN*


OOO (above), jamming out with abstract, deconstructed sound. It was awesome to listen to, and to watch. They know how to play with each other, and it was superb to watch. 
(There are so many people in the group, that I could only get the names of Bassist, Luke Stewart, and Alto Saxophonist, Aron Martin)


Elijah Jamal Balbed Quartet:
Elijah Jamal Balbed - Tenor Sax
Samir Moulay - Guitar
Eliot Seppa - Bass
Sam Prather - Drums

These gentleman came in with a more constructed, familiar style of jazz. Very well executed, and these young guys (seriously, very early twenties and already playing so judiciously and maturely), are really going to go far in the DC Jazz scene. 


Starlicker Vibraphonist Jason Adasiewicz with hands like a mad-man. 


Starlicker:
Rob Mazurek - Cornet
Jason Adasiewicz - Vibraphone
John Herndon - Drums 


I'm on the far right of this^^^ photo (this was during Starlicker), being mesmerized by the sick and slick Vibraphone of Starlicker.


If you EVER need more insight about DC's Jazz Scene, look no further than 
These guys know their people, their jazz, and where the hottest acts are at.
And they're super nice too. 


And last, but certainly, not least---
U St. All-Stars (with the sweetest, most refreshing night cap ever):
Reginald Cyntje - Trombone
Allen Jones - Drums
Eliot Seppa - Bass

Well damn. I've gone and spoiled you with so many pictures, so many names, and zero complaints about pictures (from myself).
Let me spoil you rotten now.
Go here for my full photo album.
Then, AGAIN, go here for CapitalBop, and bookmark that shit HARD.
And THEN head over to the DC Jazz Festival site (happening between 6/1-13/11)
because there will be MORE DC Jazz Loft series. 
……..This incredible lineup WAS JUST A TASTER. 

I hope you've enjoyed this. I know I did.
xxoo <3

No comments:

Post a Comment